Multiple Kernels #1. The extra leads are for the DualSID.
A couple of years ago I put together my “Ultimate Commodore 64” with multiple kernels, dual SID chips for stereo sound, reset button, USB, Ethernet, a 16GB flash drive, 4 Joystick Ports, and painted blue! You can get more details from my presentation at World of Commodore 2011. However, I accidentally killed the motherboard recently when messing around with my RN-XV Wifi project (oops). So, a swap was in order.
I bought a fully socketed 64C motherboard from eBay and swapped it in with the appropriate chips, then re-applied all the mods I had made. One thing I’ve done differently this time around is to use clip leads instead of soldering to my shiny “new” motherboard. I’ve documented the internals in pictures, it turned out pretty cool and is hopefully useful for documenting the top-side connection locations.
(Read More for pics)
I’ve released the full version 2.0! Check out the details at KVR.
I’ve been working with the SoMo by SonicWear, a cool little device that generates sound through movement, and I had some input into its design. SonicWear is a Toronto-based startup, and the project itself originated with Loretta Faveri at OCAD University’s Social Body Lab.
Photo Credit: Asma Khanani Caporaletti
The main target platform for SoMo is Max/MSP on a Mac, but I was interested in using SoMo in other platforms, notably FL Studio in Windows. So I set out to adapt SoMo into a more general-purpose MIDI controller that could be used with any music software, using some freely available tools.
The main ingredients are:
- My custom code for the SoMo (Arduino compatible) – this is for V4.0 of the device, and the accompanying XBee profile.
- The amusingly named “Hairless MIDI Bridge“.
- (For Windows) The “loopMIDI” virtual MIDI loopback cable application.
Read on for details.
When working on Organic Evolution, I ran into the issue of not being able to send custom MIDI messages to the pipe organ controller for controlling the stops and other effects – FL Studio and other DAWs hide the protocol details from you quite effectively. Sending custom messages would also be handy for other custom or non-standard MIDI hardware.
I hunted high and low for a VST pugin to allow me to do this, and couldn’t find one. So, I decided to write my own.
Version 2 adds support for CC-based mappings, a redesigned GUI, and quite a few fixes. This is Release Candidate 2, which fixes all the issues found in RC1.
Download it at http://www.schemafactor.com/midimapperx/ and give it a try!
At ECCC 2013, I presented some ideas for a “massively” multiplayer networked Commodore 64 game, and several people have joined the project to help out. Thanks to the appropriately named Polar Vortex (which I still think would make an awesome name for a metal band, and no connection to the game), we got a fair bit done on it over the holidays.
Here’s a teaser image from the real-time map:
It’s actually playable now, please head over to the Google Group if you want to try it out!
Eventually, I’ll merge all the various pages into the blog. For now, you can find some short write-ups on my Commodore hacking projects here.
OK, I’ve decided to join the blagosphere. I’ve been working on some cool projects of late, and keeping them to myself doesn’t help anyone, so I’ve decided to post them on here. Enjoy, and I hope people find them interesting and/or useful! Oh, and of course, the blog itself is yet another project…